Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Lost, Ep 10: Tricia Tanaka Is Dead
Tonight’s ep of Lost felt more like a season 1 ep, with something being found in the jungle, great lines, Sawyer being laid-back and using nicknames on everyone around him, Hurley and Charlie goofing around.

Except there’s history now. Hurley has lost Libby, and is a broken man looking to reclaim a former happiness. Charlie believes he’s a man marked by fate, about to die at any instant. Sawyer’s slept with Kate and has been tortured by the Others.

In Hurley’s flashback this week, we finally see the father that I assumed was either dead or had left the family. Cheech Marin plays the deadbeat dad who walks out on his family, and 17 years later, when he hears his son has hit the jackpot, comes back. It’s not a big revelatory flashback, but it inspires Hurley to finally get out of that funk he’s been in the entire time, and begin to believe that he’s NOT cursed, which is a pretty big deal. In doing so, he helps convince Charlie that there is no such thing as fate (wonder what Locke would say to that?) We already knew a meteorite had hit Mr. Cluck’s, and now we see the circumstances surrounding it. We know that he goes to Australia, so there was no way his dad was going to keep him there, but it’s interesting to see what happened.

Highlights:
-How boring Hurley is on camera when Tricia Tanaka is interviewing him.
-Nikki and Paulo NOT going with Hurley. Thank the GODS. I was so worried for a second there…
-Jin inadvertently volunteering to help Hurley with the car, and Hurley’s amusement.
-Kate pulling the dart out of Sawyer’s foot and making fun of him saying “Little House.” It was like the old Kate and Sawyer again, however fleeting.
-“Dude… Roger was on a beer run.”
-Roger’s head popping off when Hurley and Jin try to pull him out.
-Hurley hugging Sawyer and being super-excited to see Sawyer
-Sawyer saying Jin’s hooked on phonics
-Mrs. Reyes covering her golden Personal Jesus’s ears to say she has needs (Locke would say that the Jesus was the thing that brought them the bad luck; it’s a false idol, after all)
-the butlers, Mr. Tran and Lady Tran, being from Bennigan’s
-Hurley referring to the dead guy as Roger Workman (and Sawyer calling him Skeletor)
-Hurley warning Sawyer the beer was there before Rocky III, maybe Rocky II
-the psychic admitting she lied after Hurley offers her $10,000
-Sawyer calling Hurley International House of Pancakes
-Sawyer teaching Jin the three things a woman needs to hear
-“What’s your problem, Jumbotron?” “Shut up, Red… Neck… Man.” “Touché.”
-the guys riding around in circles in the van
-Sayid mocking Locke by saying they know where to go by how the light hit Eko’s stick when they were burying him
-ROUSSEAU! When Kate first left the beach, I was SO hoping that’s who she was going to get. I cannot wait to see her reunited with Alex.

Oops: When Vincent’s first coming out of the jungle, the hand is in his mouth, but in the very next shot, the arm is turned and the hand is away from his mouth.
-Charlie shaved on the beach, and a couple of hours later riding shotgun with Hurley he’s got a full day’s stubble.
-the van looks like it’s going 100mph down the hill, but then Hurley just suddenly turns the wheel and it doesn’t flip over?

Questions:
-How did Randy end up at the box company in Tustin after this?
-what is up with Nikki and Paulo? Why did he grab her belt loop? Possessive much? Why do the writers insist that they're likable people, yet they keep making them so damn unlikable?
-how did Roger die?
-why was there a ton of recycling in the van?
-Did Hurley and Charlie break the curse?

Did You Notice?:
-near the end, when Sawyer sits outside his tent and drinks the beer, he looks like he’s returned home. The beach is home to them now.
-the song on the 8-track in the VW bus is the same song playing at the beginning of the episode in the early Hugo flashback. The song is Shambala by 3 Dog Night.

Shambala
Wash away my troubles, wash away my pain
With the rain in Shambala
Wash away my sorrows, wash away my shame
With the rain in Shambala

*Ooooh... yeahYeah yeah yeah yeah yeah*
*This part repeats twice after each verse

Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind
On the road to Shambala
Everyone is lucky, everyone is so kind
On the road to Shambala

How does your light shine
In the halls of Shambala
How does your light shine
In the halls of Shambala

I can tell my sister 'bout the flowers in her eyes
On the road to Shambala
I can tell my brother 'bout the flowers in his eyes
On the road to Shambala

How does your light shine
In the halls of Shambala
How does your light shine
In the halls of Shambala
Tell me how, how does your light shine
In the halls of Shambala
Tell me how, how does your light shine
In the halls of Shambala

Next week: “Enter 77,” a Sayid ep (wow, they're going to give Naveen more than 2 lines??). And we finally meet Patchy.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nikki:
I am sorry. Those pants do not make you look fat! LOL

Great return to form even though no advancement in the storyline. So at the end, was Kate looking for Rousseau and how did she know where to look? And why would she start shooting if she saw Kate, Sayid and Locke? Its not like she couldn't have seen them before!

Any guesses on who Patchy is? Is he Jacob? My guess is that he belongs to another group of "Others" maybe that were ostracized from the other Others at some point in the past.

Glad to see Lost with a sense of humour again. Way too grim lately with the torture!

The Chapati Kid said...

I agree with Roland. This was a fine piece of fluff. Next week's episode looks absolutely thrilling!

You know, for a second there, I thought it was Jin who pulled Nikki back by her belt loops. Now it makes sense!

A few nitpicks: it REALLY bothered me that the rabbit foot on the keychain was so clean, considering it had been on the hand of a decomposing man. And that Charlie's 5 o'clock shadow was so, well, midnight. And that Jin isn't showing (we don't know how long they've been gone, do we?) at all.

Best lines addition:
Paolo: "I have to go look for bananas."

What I don't get... what does Kate want Sawyer to apologize for? For not going back for Jack?

The Chapati Kid said...

DAMN. I mean Sun.

Anonymous said...

Again, last night, I was left with "What the hell was the preview talking about? What am I supposed to be talking about tomorrow?"
I love this show, I really do. This was a huge fluff episode, but I was disappointed it didn't advance the plot much. However, I was quite happy with the humor.
I felt like I was watching "Little Miss Hugo." I was glad the episode was played for the laughs, because I did laugh a lot. There was a lot of classic lines in this ep.
Also, the meteor hitting Mr. Clucks = priceless. I don't know why, but I laughed a LOT when that happened. I nearly fell out of my chair. Maybe because it just sounded so ridiculous when Hurley said it back in Season One, and actually seeing it made me laugh.

Nikki Stafford said...

Roland: Are you sure? Because I think these pants make me look like a whale... heehee...
I agree; Hurley episodes almost never advance the storyline, they always just seem to be in there for fun. I did an interview with a radio station this morning where the guy asked, "So what was revealed about the numbers?" Me: Uh... nothing? But it was lots of fun nonetheless.

Chapatikid: Well, see, the reason Jin isn't showing is... nah, that's just too easy. Heehee... at the beginning of the season it was 62 days, I think, but what's confusing is the timeline of the Others camp vs. the beach. The Others camp seems to have been about 2 weeks, but the beach seems to have been about 4 days, so it's really hard to say. But it seems either way, Sun is still in her first trimester, so not showing is pretty normal.
I'll have to come up with a deleted scene about those bananas. :)

Nikki Stafford said...

Jeff: I agree, it's the damn preview again that totally sucked. The meteor -- "well, technically it was a meteorite" -- was hilarious, and even funnier was the fact he didn't know if it was a meteor or an asteroid. hahahaha!

Anonymous said...

Nikki: "Are you sure? Because I think these pants make me look like a whale."

I'm sorry. You were right...oh wait. Damn you Sawyer! :-)

Anyway, I had an interesting theory about Hurley last night. What if the numbers aren't cursed, but instead Hurley was "special" like Walt? We all saw Walt manifest things from his mind? Could Hurley's misfortune be the same? Did his positive thinking last night cause the car start? Granted this doesn't explain why Leonard's friend also thought the numbers were cursed, but I still wanted to share this theory.

As to the numbers, there was a video released as part of the Lost Experience that completely explains their origin, as well as the formation of DHARMA. You can find it on YouTube.

I think Patchy is Radzinski (Kelvin's hatchmate before Desmond). Kelvin said Radzinski killed himself, but he isn't the most trustworthy of sources. We do know that Radzinshi was the one who started mapping the island (what was he looking for? another hatch maybe?). He was the one who edited the tape to remove the part about using the computer to contact other stations (which Locke et al) later used to get a glimpse of him. The missing film was found with a glass eye, and Patchy is missing an eye (since he was going to be alone, maybe he didn't feel like he needed the eye anymore and the patch was more comfortable). Also, the mural in the Swan Hatch had a stick figure with a guy with his eye crossed out.

I also wonder if Patchy's hatch is somehow tied into the "smoke monster" somehow. There were numerous mentions to Cerebus activity on the invisible map. Was this a reference to the smoke monster? Is that what Patchy/Radzinski was looking for?

Anyway, that's my $0.02

Anonymous said...

Oh, and my favorite two moments:

"Red...neck...man"..."Touche"

and

"Skeletor"

Brian said...

Jeff/Nikki: I'm pretty sure the promo was referring to the return of Rousseau.

shozay said...

Was anyone thinking ...

Chicken Little "The sky is falling!"
Mr. Clucks, the sky did fall.