Sunday, September 02, 2007

Heroes in Toronto
Well, I didn't get downtown to see the big show on Friday after all, but after seeing the picture in the Star of over 5,000 fans being on hand to see the actors, I figure I wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the stage to see anyone anyway. Ando, Sylar, Micah, and incoming actor Dania Ramirez were on hand, as well as Jeph Loeb, who would have been way cool to see. They refused to give up spoilers for the show, and stuck around to complete every single autograph asked of them. Rob Salem in the Star recounted how the day went.

Even more exciting, however, was the news yesterday that a "major Canadian city" will play a role in the upcoming season of Heroes! Will it be Toronto? Vancouver? St. John's? I can't wait.

Posh Spice is going to appear in an episode of Ugly Betty playing a bridesmaid.

I bought season 1 of Friday Night Lights yesterday, so I'm definitely looking forward to watching it. The packaging was pretty lousy; I had to search through all of them to find one that wasn't completely mangled, and even that one had a ripped corner. But, NBC is definitely making a push to get people to watch this show -- where box sets like Heroes were retailing for $59.99, and anything on HBO was $89.99, Friday Night Lights was $29.99, for 22 episodes. What an awesome price!

If you're looking to start setting those PVRs and get ready for the fall season, Zap2it has a great rundown of all the new shows, start dates, and schedules. Since I'm ready to give birth at any minute, I'm thinking I should start setting the PVR now so I don't miss anything. I look forward to the EW rundown, which is more complete and puts everything on one schedule rather than going network by network, but for some reason every year that issue comes out later and later...

Finally, I got out to see Superbad yesterday, and it's interesting: I find one thing that's constant throughout all Judd Apatow films is they are consistently funny, I come away having enjoyed myself, but there weren't a lot of moments where I was doubled over, unable to breathe... if any. Knocked Up and 40-Year-Old Virgin were both hilarious, but weren't the funniest things I'd ever seen, and felt like they went on a little too long. Superbad is similar, except it never feels too long. The three main characters are brilliant (I love Michael Cera with all my being) and it's probably my favourite of the trio of films. There's a scene where Seth is standing on a soccer field explaining something to Evan that had me in stitches. There's also a feeling about Apatow films that while they're crude and contain a lot of toilet humour, they're a lot smarter than your typical film in that vein. This one's no exception. I really enjoyed it.

Speaking of which, I first read about Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story in a recent issue of EW on the fall films, and just the description made me laugh. We saw the trailer yesterday and it was pretty hilarious (apparently they're releasing a CD box set of his hits called Box of Cox). It looks like the movie is going to exploit every cliche from Ray and the Johnny Cash film. I love it (the best moment is him singing with Jenna Fischer). Check it out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Jeph! Now I'm doubly sorry I wasn't there.

Not really. James kissed my on the forehead Friday night.

Nikki Stafford said...

Bah! Wah? OK, details, lady, DETAILS!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I went to his reception, we were all sitting in little groups at his feet as he worked the room (no tables) and he leaned down and kissed my forehead. It was nice.

It was in relation to the gift I had given him.