Saturday, May 03, 2008

Ugly Betty a Hot Tranny Mess
And I mean that in the best possible way...

This past Thursday's episode of Ugly Betty was hilarious, with an over-the-top cameo from none other than Mr. Ferocia himself, Christian Siriano of Project Runway. Since winning the competition at the preschool age of 21, he's become a favourite of comedians and impersonators, and he seems to be okay with that. The best one I've seen is Amy Poehler doing him on SNL, in a fake ad for a new show called FIERCE, where Siriano comes and gives your apartment a makeover. He waltzes into a person's apartment, using his favourite catchphrases to describe everything in her closet: "Fierce [pronounced 'fiaaarrrrse']... fierce... hot mess... tranny... tranny... hot tranny mess... fierce... fierce mess... hot tranny... tranny... tranny... no, wait... hot mess..." until the homeowner, exasperated, says, "Are you saying I look like a transvestite?" Suddenly Tim Gunn shows up and says, "I'm worried... MAKE IT WORK." And finally Heidi Klum appears, saying, "I'm sorry... you are out" and kicks the woman out of her home. It was actually really hilarious.

So when I heard Siriano was going to be on Ugly Betty, I thought, "Lord help us all." There's a nod to him in the opening, when Hilda tells Betty she has to fix her "hot mess" of a hairdo, but when Siriano actually shows up, I was in stitches. He floats into the room in one of his over-the-top creations, flanked by three women (each one at least a foot taller than he is) and his first words are, "Worship me, bitches!" HA! The guy realized he's become a caricature, so he just played it up. He looks at Alexis and says, "Well, hello Ferocia! What a hot tranny mess." The funny part was: She IS a tranny! (And a mess, for that matter.) It was aces.

The storyline was pretty funny, with Daniel believing Betty has fallen in love with him because Renee, off her meds, believes that Betty has, while Henry confesses to Gio that he's stuck in the middle, not knowing what to do with the Betty/Charlie situation. The best line in the episode (aside from Christian's soprano deliverance of "Fierce!") is when Betty, almost set ablaze by Renee's hundreds of candles, puts out the fire with an extinguisher, only for Daniel to come bursting through the door at the last minute. She looks at him, her hair one seriously hot mess, and says, "You don't pay me enough."

Of course, what brought Renee to this point is a sad case of Wilhelmina dropping to a new low. But it's a soap opera, so we can allow that. Amanda, as usual, delivered her delicious moments of bitchiness, but I can see why Rebecca Romijn has decided to quit the show. Since the Writer's Strike brought in a new team of writers, she said they don't seem to know what to do with her character, and that was pretty evident by this episode. Oh, and I totally loved seeing Hilda's arch-nemesis Gina again, though I actually felt kind of sorry for her at the end.

What did you think? Was Christian funny? Or did you want to beat him up?

2 comments:

Jazzygirl said...

AGH! I haven't had time to watch it yet! I will do so tomorrow for sure and respond. I can't wait!

VJ_M said...

I can't wait so i have already seen this episode and if you have not watched it yet then you can watch ugly betty episodes online here.